Monday, June 1, 2015

STEVEN CURTIS LANCE


STEVEN CURTIS LANCE
BIG PIG

at the meat of the matter

I

A pig is fat but a hog is fatter
The former is younger than the latter
Knowing growing older going to be
Appointed for a pointed destiny
Anointed into a delicacy

A matter for the latter to regret
That big pig at the meat of the matter

II

But if I could it would be good for me
Or a dogly hog for a porcine pet
A big fat swine could be a friend of mine
Or formerly mostly for the platter
At least for that to be more latterly

To play with dogs and me we who stay free
Of that formerly lattermost matter

III

A hog gets to be when a pig gets big
When getting it by then it gets it where
Life and death are there and then everywhere
It got by before now not anymore
Because of what many thought it was for

From getting ribbons at the county fair
To be at the meat of the matter there

IV

A big dog has it better than a pig
Does because big but with impunity
Hazardous as a hog but as a dog
Immunity to prosecution thus
As I myself agree with me to see

Big dogs not hogs get it better from us
Choosing dogs losing hogs apparently

V

I know two big dogs who could if they would
Have a big pig friend a hog if I could
I wonder though I know they would agree
But I should not so having understood
Big dogs and big hogs seen differently

A matter for the latter to regret
That big pig at the meat of the matter

STEVEN CURTIS LANCE

No comments :

Post a Comment